WTF America!

 



I know it’s been a while since you’ve heard from me and I’m sure some of you are thankful for that. 

To be honest, it’s partly because I grew very tired of arguing theology and morality.  I chose to stop engaging those who simply have no desire to think beyond a book or some teachings they’ve had.

With that being said, I’ve been sitting and watching what is supposed to be “the greatest country in the world” set itself on fire.

I’ve watched as a governor declared war on a mouse.  As politicians travelled the state with the slogan of “Jesus, Guns, Babies” without seeing the incredible irony in what they were proclaiming.  I’ve watched as other elected officials get stopped at airports multiple times with loaded weapons.  I’ve watched as a disgraced ex-president somehow still pulls the strings.  I’ve also watched as half of the media makes great replacement claims while refusing to accept that they started the inning on third base.  I’ve even watched as the Supreme Court works to take things back 50 years or more when it comes to reproductive rights.

Today, I watch news coverage of another mass shooting.  The 27th school shooting this year…it’s not even June.  I think about the parents that worry every day about their kids but think, at least they’re safe when they’re at school.  I see these things and I can’t help but think why?

Why do people need so many guns and why do they need to have them with them all the time?

You desperately cling to the 2nd amendment; something that has no real bearing on anything you face as a society today.  It was put in place to prevent the need for a full-time militia/army.  Needless to say, that didn’t happen so why are citizens still armed to the teeth?  There is no logical reason and no civilized society that allows for open or concealed carry of a loaded firearm by a civilian.  You don’t need a gun to go grocery shopping, it’s just that simple.

The United States has nearly twice as many guns in civilian hands as the next closest country.  They are the only one that averages more than one gun per civilian.  So naturally by the gun lobby’s mentality, they must be super safe right?  Obviously, the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun so the fact that the US has so many guns must mean that all the bad guys have been stopped right?

What if, and stick with me here, the problem is actually the guns?  What if access to these weapons without extensive background checks and thorough training is actually the issue? 

Now before you paint me as some liberal pacifist, understand that I grew up with guns.  I learned to respect the weapons and had extensive training before I was allowed to legally even handle one.  I’m a grown man now and without some more courses and training, I’m not allowed to buy a gun and I’m quite fine with that. 

Perhaps the gun control in this country (Canada) is what leads to less overall gun violence.  Perhaps the shoot first and ask questions later because “It’s my right” is what leads to an overall safer country. 

Seriously America, the world is watching yet again.  Maybe this time, you’ll take a look at the root of the problem rather than what to do when it happens again?

People don’t have to die simply because you’re trying to cling to an old ideal that just doesn’t work anymore.  WTF America, it’s time to smarten up.

Comments