But what if I am Anxious Paul?

Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about mental health. 

If I’m being fully honest, I’m trying to understand those with serious mental health struggles, while also coming to grips with some of my own.

I used to think I knew what mental health issues were and they could be fit into some pretty simple boxes:

  • Depression meant you were sad ALL the time and basically catatonic.
  • Anxiety is a moment in time and then it’s gone and you’re back to normal.
  • OCD means you tap the door knob a few times before opening it and always button your shirt the same way.
  • If you hear voices, you’re crazy and it’s probably safer if you’re locked up.
Taking medication for issues that are “all in your head” is weak or unnecessary

Before you blow up my inbox, please understand that this is how I used to think but unfortunately it is still how many people think.

I’m starting to understand that guy from marketing that is the life of the party at happy hour, is also depressed a lot of the time.  That anxiety isn’t just worrying about that job interview or test, it can be a life long struggle and sometimes it doesn’t make sense.  But whether it makes sense or not, it takes over the mind and body and can cripple people for days and weeks at a time.  They’re not always depressed, they just can’t shut their mind off.

I’m learning that medication can be a saviour for some and that there is no silver bullet.

Give me the pills I need to make me better Doc!  This doesn’t work and there is often months or years to find the right mix.  Once discovered, that mix doesn’t always continue working and there is nothing to say that meds are a short-term solution as they can often become a lifelong need simply to balance out brain chemistry.

So where does all this learning and realization lead the Construction Christian?  I’m incredibly lucky to be part of a church community that at least from a corporate and leadership point of view, understands mental health and works with people.  Entire sermons and guests have been dedicated to this issue and I am very grateful for that.

This supportive and progressive viewpoint is not shared by all within the Christian community or even probably my own church.  I’ve heard people say that claiming mental health issues is a cop out or a crutch instead of just learning to deal with things.  I myself have been guilty of this thinking within my own family in the past.  In moments of frustration I’ve asked why someone can’t just “snap out of it”.

I’ve also heard it said that if people just prayed more they wouldn’t need the drugs.  How can you be sad if you have Jesus?  Even the bible says, “Do not be anxious about anything” (Philippians 4:6) so that settles it right? 

How many Christians have felt shame and doubt because of this literal reading of a single line?  How many have left the faith because they were told that they didn’t pray enough and that’s why they are the way that they are?

The biggest thing the church needs to learn in my humble opinion is something that I’m slowly coming around to as well.  Mental health issues aren’t always something you can fix.  There isn’t always an “other side” and sometimes no amount of prayer will bring miraculous healing to someone struggling.  We all need to learn to listen and simply be there with people in their pain and struggle.  Learning to say, “What can I do” vs. “You should just…”

Mental health struggles have been present in people since the dawn of time and will continue to be until this planet is gone.  Understanding them and helping people is how we can move forward to love our neighbour and help them to live their best life.
 

Comments